Monday, February 29, 2016

Around the Bay and Away


Leap Day is the perfect time to “Take a Leap”, whether it is a flying one or driving one.  Planes, trains, or automobiles, the journey can often be just as fun especially when you are exploring local places with fresh eyes. 

My exposure to travel growing up was exactly like my exposure to different foods, almost nonexistent.  The first trip to any Disney theme park for this Mickey fanatic was when I was 17, right before I was about to start college.  So it seems a bit ironic that what I have been deprived of early on is what I am most passionate about now.  On the flip side, maybe without that deprivation, I would never have gained this deep appreciation that so many others tend to take for granted. 

About 15 years ago, I decided to make it a goal to see all 50 states and had been doing a decent job at that until I discovered Hawai`i.  My husband’s lack of vacay and my love for Mau`i - https://www.101words.org/my-love/ meant that I became stagnant in that goal but began an immersion into that beautiful rock in the Pacific.  It baffles most people that there is anything left to explore or try after spending an equivalent of about 6 months there over the years.  Although there are Old Maui Favorites that I make an effort to return to, rest assure that I always seem to discover a list of New Maui Finds as well.  A big benefit of returning again and again is finding and trying the newer things before it becomes mainstream.  We went zip lining with Skyline Hawai`i in Upcountry when it was the first and only zip line operator in the United States.  We went on the Maui Gold Pineapple Tour when they still had their operations in West Maui and was only $25 per person including your free pineapple. 
 
So follow me Around the Bay and Away and hope you will discover some new places before everyone else does! 

No comments:

Post a Comment